Friday 10 December 2010

His work

Michael Craig-Martin's work has always been vibrant and compelling. I stumbled across this article the other day discussing his work processes, and more widely, his career development. For me, the idea of 'digitalism' is enthralling, as Craig-Martin, as a man of an older disposition, has fully embraced the uses of technology within the process of his work. But, he makes the rules between himself and machine. Seemingly relieved, he said "I could scan all the separate images that I wanted to assemble on to the computer, which was unbelievably liberating for me. My work process was tediously slow in the past, and the implications of making even the smallest change were immense, but now I can make 1,000 changes and think nothing of doing 100 drawings" Insightful. A lovely look at ideas and views, that'd otherwise usually be contained within the inner-sanctum of four studio walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment