Friday 1 May 2009

When will I learn your no good for me...

So, back to Uni and Esser steps up. I have done this whole Uni/gig thing quite a bit over the past three years - and am kind of sad that this is all soon coming to an end. I am also totally gutted that I can't make the Graham Coxon gig Sunday night, especially after having one of the 'hot-tickets', damn work. Boy needs bread and all that!

Anyway, Ben Esser. I have been following him for a while, and he is worth a listen. First single out on Merok (my fave record label) was I Love You/Long Arms - all you can say is what a great 9" debut. Both tracks are infectious and catchy pop gems. However, Esser is no one-trick pony, as he amusingly uses social commentary and wit, shown oozing out of second single Headlock

Live he has a real swagger, supported by a full band including a total cool kid in a panama hat on keys. Appearing on stage in a pretty busy-looking gold clad jacket it was clear he had come to party. That and the fact that he was stoned off his face, but this did not detract. 

Sometimes... when your at gigs, you end up checking your watch don't you!? Don't lie, we have all done it. Well, Esser kept me well entertained. I was plugged in for the whole set. He mixed his tracks well between pop, and then slowing it down with some R 'n' B. The added sampling was delightful. Carrying good banter with the small but cool audience also enhanced his performance - there is something about confidence! Plus, I decided that it was a cool audience, as all the uncool people were at Friendly Fires, UEA. I would much rather see someone starting out, which was a sentiment shared by the meagre 60-70 witnessing!

Flying guitars and waving arms, this all went by in a 45 minute flurry, but thoroughly enjoyable. Well worth the credit-crunch friendly £6 ticket. From this I would say at least get your ears around his debut album out 4th May, Braveface. Cheeky and lovable - a pretty honest record boasting a total summer vibe.

http://www.myspace.com/esserhq

No comments:

Post a Comment