Tuesday 9 June 2009

From Russia with love...

I got the bus yesterday. When in Norwich I usually do travel by public transport, that, or my trusty bike. Anyway, I was on the bus yesterday - this is where I encountered a rather strange man...

Basically, he was 73 years old. I unfortunately did not capture his name. (set the scene) We had both been waiting at the Castle Meadow bus stop together for no fewer than two minutes before he started nattering away, like most old crazy people do! 

On that note, old people do seem to be somewhat fearless when it comes to talking to absolute strangers. I mean when I am waiting for, or on public transport, I tend to keep my head down - no eye contact for me! But this guy, or should I say elderly gentlemen just did not care!

There he was explaining to me about how the bus was going to turn up any minute, and give him his due, he was right, as within an instant the 25 rolled round the corner to pick us up!

Entering the bus:- By this point I am thinking, "this man has been talking to me for a couple of minutes, so do I just go upstairs and ignore him completely while he is taking his seat on the lower deck, or do I kindly sit next to him, and listen to what he has to say for the duration of the journey, thus forfeiting the magazine that I was going to divulge in?!..."

Me being the sucker that I am caved in and sat next to him! I hasten to say that we have all probably been in this situation at one time or another! I suppose I took the morally right decision. 

So there we were... And this was when he launched into full-on ecclesiastical craziness. Firstly, he told me he was on the way back to his tower block to feed his blind son, which I was just like "what the hell do I say to that?" - so I did not really dwell on this subject, and kind of moved the conversation on to the topic of the recent local elections... bad move. 

It was on the topic of politics that this man launched a Pius tirade on how great the Lord God is, and that people do not know how great he is, and that he will always for give man despite whatever wrong we do. Whilst stating that the sun was a marvellous creation that no man could ever create, as well as stating that it is probably very hot... 

I mean this makes me very sceptical about religion, as this guy (after an apparent 30 years of reading the bible, as well as visits to Jerusalem and Bethlehem) was fanatical. It is hard to think that people commit themselves wholeheartedly to this concept. I mean do not get me wrong, I believe that religion has its place, but this guy just seemed delusional.

His most brash statement came when he assured me that the population of Russia would be sucked into a black hole, because they are basically evil people. They are hungry for oil, money, and power - to be precise. I mean how is God just going to create a hole that sucks the Russian's into oblivion?! I was left very confused by this...

Anyway, thankfully the fanatical man's stop was up. He rang the bell twice (just in case the bus driver did not hear his first effort) and slowly clambered up from his seat. As he left he wished me all the best, and said that he would pray for me!

He was a very nice old man, I could see that. But I just thought, your talking to a complete stranger, he did not know anything about me, and for all he knew I could have found what he was saying deeply offensive... I do not know. 

I just hope he is alright and looks after himself. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment