Monday 2 November 2009

Love & Sexuality - Francis Bacon

1965. Julian Jebb (w/ David Sylvester and Richard Cork) interviewed Bacon about his contemporaries in the art world, his working practices and his personal philosophies, such as his belief that true abstract painting is nothing more than 'lyrical, charming and decorative'.

For me, it was his philosophy on 'love and sexuality' that got me.

Bacon's thoughts on the subject, somewhat surprisingly, seem to truly resonate with me. I am unsure why, but I feel that his explanations are clear and seem familiar.

With relationships you attach, but not infinitely? To what strength? What commitment? What about marriage? There has to be a dynamism somewhere, but it is unlikely to be limitless?! Bacon captures this. Furthermore, he manages to deliver such frank and upfront words almost poetically... (hence why I will write his dialogue in verse form)

He states:

"How can you be satisfied,
because everything escapes you...
You know that even if you are in love with someone,
everything escapes you.

You would want to be nearer that person,
But how can you cut your flesh open, and join it with the other person,
It's an impossibility to do...
So it is with art,
It is almost like a long affair...
With objects, and images, and appearances, and sensations...
And passions.

You may love somebody very much,
But how near can you get to them?
Your still always unfortunately... sort of strangers"

Two figures lying on a bed with attendants (1968)

Don't mistake me for someone who is cynical about 'love', I mean I am only just coming to the end of my twenty-first year, I have not experienced divorce... yet, and I very much appreciate female company.

Looking inwardly for a moment. Sure, I have loved - and I think that is why I can relate to his words, due to the 'have'...

I believe that Bacon merely drives a penetrative reality. He addresses the conclusive nature of relationships - love and sexuality. You can love, and he asserts this favourably (plus I long intend to do so too!) But, it comes at a cost. An entwining of two figures will not last forever. A relationships terminus will bring ruin, leaving sadness to prevail.

So... live and love for now! Thanks all the same Mr. Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment