Tuesday 27 July 2010

Boy & Bear

A band from Australia. Boy & Bear were introduced to me through a girl I met in Barcelona. When she said, "My boyfriend is in a band", I just hope my eyes didn't roll too obviously... Especially as, since being back, I found Boy & Bear were not the poor man's Wolfmother (not that I have a problem with Wolfmother) that I was expecting! Very far from it! Folk-revival, or Nu-Folk seems to be all the rage currently, and with an essence of Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver, this Sydney five-piece are staking their claim!

Oz has offered up something far more tentative and caring than it's traditional rock and dance stereotypes. Surprisingly, soft and melodic sounds drench The Storm, which has a real organic and hearty feel about it. Whilst a mix of harmony and perky guitar deliver Mexican Mavis! After a successful Spring-time UK Tour with Laura Marling now behind them, and a string of sold out home shows with Mumford & Sons approaching, Boy & Bear seem to have things right where they want them!

Check out their recently released debut EP - With Emperor Antarctica

No comments:

Post a Comment