Saturday 8 May 2010

Lost in...

Well. I dunno. I don't really watch films, at all. But the other night I was flicking through the TV channels, highly uninspired, then found Film 4. I have always wanted to get into Film 4, as it always tends to be showing some cult picture-house movie that I really should see! Drawn in by nothing else, I backtracked, and broke my self-imposed movie embargo - catching a good 40 minutes of 'Lost in Translation'. At the very least I could just fall asleep to it, as so often is the verdict!

The freeview blurb bought to my attention it's award winning credentials, which I felt it was more than decent for! The gist of what had gone on for the hour before came to me quite quickly, leaving what time was left to absorb the tenderness and fragility that both Murray and Johansson delicately dance with, playfully and cutely. What was most touching was that feeling of familiarity. You meet someone for only a short time, but they can be in your life for an short, but intense period, then flit off.

Intended or not, my understanding was such, that Sofia Coppola wanted to show how people can come together, briefly, yet form a bond that makes them question everything in their life. It can bring a shattering end to what has always felt like the 'right thing', i.e. job, family, lifestyle etc. It takes these real lonely moments for this reassessment. The confiding that Murray and Johansson show seems beautifully genuine, which makes the heartache at the end a real tearjerker - although myself I did not pass a tear, honest!!

1 comment:

  1. Love this movie. The soundtrack is particularly beautiful.

    did you remember that i tried to convince you that Baby one more time is a rock n roll song? That is true anyway.

    Anais xxx
    anaislegras.le-net.org

    ReplyDelete