Tuesday 25 May 2010

My thoughts entirely...

I am not a big fan of quotes, carrying quotes, drudging up quotes, etc. It's all a bit clichéd. "O, you know when Mr. X said blah about blah blah..." That sort of thing. However, that is not to say that they are unhelpful or meaningless. The value of a good statement can really focus and expand your mind, as a reaction/interpretation to what sort of image a sentence can conjure is very subjective. Such quotes also give an amazing individuality, as it is uncommon that any two people would read into them in the same way. Just a thought.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I came across a decent example, that was full of relation. I was invigilating a Year 11 Spanish exam (my latest post-graduating venture) in a Latin room, and picked up a book titled Monuments of Civilisation: The Middle East, a real wodge of a book (just one part of big, hardback series). I opened it to find that the foreward was written by no other than Henry Moore, a man whose early works especially were vastly influenced by foreign objects of date, tradition, craft, religion, and varying material.

It was his thoughts on history, as an overview, that stand very true in my opinion:

"It is my profound conviction that the testimony of the past must not be ignored. A knowledge of our history can be of great use in our life; all human activity is conditioned by this past, without which man would have to start all over again from the beginning."

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the exhibition yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I liked the first room and last room the most. Did enjoy the morbid war room too. It was all good really. Just lacked coherency.

    ReplyDelete